Life is Worth Documenting

Friday, October 5, 2007

Hippie like me

I wandered out of my hotel room today determined to find the huge weekend market the locals call JJ. It also has some super Asian name that I can't pronounce. My goal is to find some non-farang clothing. All smells aside, the market is a shoppers dream. Ok, maybe not the Paris Hilton types. But the cheap, thrift store shopping types. You can find any and everything here from the latest Diesel clothing to a new addition to your household- a real live pet. Every price is negotiable. You start low, they start high and you meet somewhere super cheap in the middle. I'm determined to find some hippie clothing since everyone stares at me and I keep getting harassed for my money. It's not like my Western clothing is different than theirs. They dress just as fashionable as us, if not more. But if I dress in some frumpy smocks I think they may overlook me rather than stare so much. After getting lost in the maze of vendors several times and almost passing out from heat exhaustion, I finally had 4 bags full of clothes my boyfriend would love. Long flowing skirts and crumpled, loose tank tops with spaghetti straps. You know comfy like a Phish concert. As I walk home from the market I am left with images of craziness flooding my mind. The sights and sounds of that place are worth a million bucks alone. I guess no matter how far you travel, you will never be able behind Avril Lavine (sp?). Or Kanye West. Or Gwen Stephanie. The trendy hipsters here try to emulate punk and all the popular trends. As you pass by their booths, you are engulfed by th to leavee sounds of crappy pop music. As I walk away knowing that Fergie Ferg will love me long time, I head home for a shower because I smell like a baboon. I change into my new clothes and go for a walk. As I walk down the street I realize that it worked. The hassle factor has been cut in half. Same old shirt- different new skirt- makes me look a little Asian. Score!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home